How often should I shock my pool?Shocking your pool should be a regular part of your pool maintenance. But how regular depends on how heavy the pool use is. You may also want to shock:
- After exceptionally heavy use.
- After a heavy rain or a windstorm that blows debris into the pool.
- After a water change.
How do I shock my pool?There are a few different ways you can shock your pool and Swim University gives these great tips on one of the ways you can shock your pool:
- Always use gloves and protective eye wear.
- Add 1 pound of shock a 5 gallon bucket of water about 3/4 full.
- Always add shock to water not water to shock.
- Wear clothes you don’t care about – they might get bleached.
- Warm water dissolves shock faster than cold.
- DO NOT add shock directly to your skimmer!
- Use a wooden stick and slowly stir in the shock making sure it dissolves completely, or as much as possible.
- Slowly pour the bucket of pre-dissolved shock around your pool. You may have some undissolved shock at the bottom of your bucket. In this case, just dip your bucket in some pool water give it a slow swish around and pour it back into the pool to help dissolve some of that shock.
- DO NOT mix all the bags together in one bucket.
- Always shock at dusk or night time. The chlorine works better when it’s not being burned off by the sun.
- Shock should also be added every week to ensure a clean and algae-free pool.
We’re here to help!
Comment On This Post